Copywriting—–A versatile copywriter must have the following qualities, and BDBasu is a copywriter and sales personnel of four decades of experience through employment of various Indian conglomerates have those qualities.
1. Linguistic proficiency must be reflected in the copy to that extent that the prospects/customers understand the massage and get allured to initiate their plan of actions to purchase the products/services.
Basu writes the copy in such a way that the customers read with due attention for his company’s products, namely material handling. If one tries to assess the capability of a Copywriter, he has to read the copy thoroughly. For example, the copy of the Lifebuoy soap. By reading the copy, one can easily understand that the soap can refresh their body and the feeling will be full of joy. Further, it has a tremendous USP. The prospects are getting a quality product at a sustainable price. And, this is the beauty of an excellent copy. Basu adopts similar type of technique when he writes copy for his company’s products.
2. Before starting a copy, the copywriter must have the feeling of VOC—-VOICE OF CUSTOMER. She/he can select many VOCs, but not more than 26 VOCs. If it is more, it will jumble up the creativity of the Copywriter. After this exercise, the Copywriter has to note the customer’s requirement. If it is a technical produce, the copywriter must note down the technological process, dimensions and other technical parameters. If it is a consumer product, the Copywriter must qualify and notify the various qualitative matrixes to his supporting team to write copy at a preliminary level. Once the Copywriter has finished his first round of meeting, he will prepare s strategic plan how to write an excellent copy to push the sales. Once the VOCs exercise is over, the Copywriter must understand the requirement of the customer, its technical parameters, comparing the requirement with that of the company’s competitors, then making an action plan and finally fix target volume of sales.
3. The next step is to establish a strategic goal, and to achieve the same, the Copywriter has to prepare a strategic plan. Thereafter, he has to divide the plan into a technical plan, commercial plan and operational plan. Then the copywriting text is to be written based on these plans to complete the specific project with respect to project objectives. Once the final copy is placed before the customer, he may or may not approve the text. If he rejects, the copywriter needs to start the exercise afresh. It is a monotonous process, but in this line, one must have perseverance to achieve the benefits of his efforts..
4.Finally, after making the copy, its copy viability, copy reliability and its effectiveness are need to be examined to make the copy as a successful presentation.
5. The most important thing of a versatile Copywriter that she/he has to have three C qualities, and that are—
- Capability to create an appealing copy to support the sales/service of a product
- Confidence that her/his copy will produce a magic wand to get results.
- Creative thinker. Without this quality, it is difficult to become a top-notch Copywriter.
6. The Copywriter must help sales department to maximize their efforts so that the sales of the products/services get increase. The copy should be concise, short, and crispy and they must be in a position to attract the customers. Copy cannot increase the sales directly, but the sales people must be in a position to utilize the vast experience of the Copywriters for their benefit to increase sales.
7. Any Copywriter needs to be a self-motivator, dedicated and loyal to the customer’s specifics and to their requirement. If he misses transparency and try to ignore the customer’s requirement knowingly or unknowingly, the customers will not like to work with him. A good Copywriter is an ambassador of customer and his company’s products/services.
8. Motivation factor is an important aspect to create a quality copy. The motivation factor comprises of six different attributes, namely reinforce, request information, resources, responsibility, role and repeat. An entry level Copywriter has to get training under a creative director or a senior Copywriter to enhance his skills to create a tremendous appealing copy.
9. After the copy is prepared and it is checked in-house, a SWOT analysis and PEST analysis are to be conducted so that when the customer receives the copy, he gets elated and accept the same in the first instance itself.
10. Once the copy is made, the Copywriter must find out the cost benefit analysis, and for that matter KPI both with respect to financial and non-financial metrics need to be assessed and ensure how the same reflect the customer’s key business drives. The Copywriter has to understand these business logics and for that KPI is to be measured on an acronym of SMART
What is smart? It is Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time bound.
Copywriting is an effortless exercise provided you follow the above tools and techniques. BDBasu will shortly impart training on this functional discipline of Copywriting